October 12th, 2022 | Careers, Our Team
Arete is Hiring in Georgia!
Position: Director of Development, Georgia
Job Type: Full-time
Location: Hybrid (remote within Georgia)
Reports to: President
About Arete Scholars
Arete Scholars advances the realization of excellence in underserved and marginalized children by opening doors to opportunity. Pronounced “ah-reh-tay,” the word is an ancient Greek concept that signifies a life of virtue, courage, and excellence.
The Arete model is a holistic journey of academic formation and personal growth, which empowers children to reach their highest potential. We bridge supporters, schools, and families to create a three-pronged investment in a child’s education. It starts with a tax credit-funded scholarship from a supporter through Arete Scholars. Next, partner schools work with families to provide additional assistance. Finally, the family pays the remaining portion of tuition directly. Under this model, everyone has a vested interest in the child’s success.
With all parties invested in the child’s success, the student quickly flourishes. Arete scholars have historically achieved higher test scores, demonstrated improved social and emotional learning, and graduated high school at rates far beyond their economically disadvantaged peers. Since its founding in 2010, Arete Scholars has granted nearly 15,000 K-12 scholarships, worth nearly $75 million, to children seeking a life devoted to excellence and virtue.
Arete Scholars seeks a full-time development director to lead our life-changing mission in Georgia. The Arete Georgia Director of Development will create and drive the development strategy and management of Arete’s fundraising efforts across Georgia. The chosen candidate will also work in tandem with the President to design and devise strategy to expand Arete’s impact to more children and families and construct new initiatives and programs that generate value and growth for the betterment of the communities we serve across Georgia.
This critical role involves organizing large-scale fundraising initiatives and helping conceive and coordinate events, building and stewarding authentic personal relationships, developing and working alongside a passionate and engaged board, and harnessing our powerful mission to further empower families and elevate communities throughout the state. Additionally, the development director acts as the major gift officer and is charged with leading and executing fundraising efforts for the entire state, particularly in individual, school-based, corporate, and foundation giving.
Our ideal candidate will have significant experience in fundraising, business development, and/or sales experience, especially in the education, nonprofit, or public policy sectors. They should also be familiar with Customer Relationship Management (CRM) software, donor databases and other software/technology to use in their daily job duties.
Leadership and Entrepreneurship
Direct and manage the development program for the Georgia market, focusing on innovation, creativity, adaptability, execution, impact, and growth. Responsible for leading and developing the Georgia board/Arete Ambassadors network and creating inroads to new opportunities.
Structure and Focus
Being that this job is effectively remote, this role offers tremendous freedom and flexibility. In that same spirit, this person needs to be driven and disciplined and must have the intuition and ability to set their own schedules and meetings across the state, as well as focus on and finish important tasks in a timely and professional manner, to be successful.
Examples of Measurements of Success
- Annual growth of scholarship allocations
- Year-over year revenue growth
- Board engagement and growth
- Impactful programs and events
- Number of quality meetings and dynamic partnerships established
- Responsible for developing and executing a strategic and innovative plan for engaging critical community partners in support of the program, service, and capital needs of Arete Scholars.
- Creates and manages a committee of business and community leaders whose purpose is to drive community-based strategies and facilitate networking connections resulting in formative programs and strong communities.
- Develops and stewards a portfolio of existing and prospective individual, school-based, corporate, community, and foundation partners within Georgia and beyond.
- Works closely with the President to generate ideas, vision, and goals that will grow Arete’s influence and impact in the areas of fundraising, student success and needed resources/new pathways, community engagement and family services, inventive programs and systems that create efficiency and scale, public policy and legislative efforts, and leveraging partnerships to create awareness and positive results.
- Maintains and analyzes database records to track donors, donor prospects, and gifts to retain and increase long-term engagement.
- Develops a robust and ambitious work plan with financial goals, timelines, and funding opportunities.
- Works in a cross-functional environment, supporting and assisting in other areas, such as public policy, marketing & communications, and events.
- Serves as a valued team member of Arete by supporting and collaborating with other staff to achieve Arete’s transformative mission in any capacity possible.
Arete Scholars consists of a group of high-functioning team members, who are passionate about empowering marginalized children with lifechanging opportunities and resources to help them realize their greatest potential and reach for their dreams. We strive to be positive, creative, selfless, and solution-minded individuals.
Arete Scholars Organizational Values
- Excellence in Action – We pursue excellence in everything we do. We endeavor to live virtuous and courageous lives and to inspire virtue, courage, and excellence in others.
- Humble Service to Others – We are here to serve, and we carry out our service with joy and humility. We treat our stakeholders with the highest level of respect, care, and professionalism.
- Families First – Our greatest priority will always be families. Whether it's the families we support, our Arete work family, or each team member's family, we always act with integrity and authenticity, recognizing the dignity and humanity in every person.
Ten Hallmarks of an Arete Scholars Team Member:
1. A person of the utmost integrity and character
2. A person who respects and recognizes the dignity in every person
3. A person who is mission-driven and desires to have a positive impact on their community and the world
4. A person who is driven, dependable, and accountable
5. A person who seeks first to serve and to listen, rather than be served or to be heard
6. A person of joy and positivity
7. A person who loves challenges
8. A person who is a problem solver and doer
9. A person who never stops learning and growing
10. A person who isn’t afraid to take risks and fail
This position operates in a remote environment within the state of Georgia, and routinely requires one-on-one engagement with external stakeholders. The majority of time will be spent traveling across the state for meetings and events with key stakeholders in Georgia.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
We are an equal opportunity employer. Applications are considered for positions without regard to veteran status, uniformed service member status, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, genetic information, or any other category protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws.
Please submit application materials (resume, cover letter, references, and salary requirements) to email@example.com .